Image result for q&A
     Frequently Asked Questions

What is Reverse Transfer?

Reverse transfer is the transfer of university credits back to a community college to fulfill associate degree requirements. For students who have attended LSCC and transferred to a university before completing their associate degree requirements can transfer back (reverse) those required credits to receive their associate's degree from participating universities.

Am I eligible to Reverse Transfer?
Students will be eligible for reverse transfer when they have met the following criteria:
  • Have earned at least 25% of the credit hours required for their degree from a member institution in the Alabama Community College System.
  • Have earned at least 3 semester credit hours from the four-year institution.
  • Adhere to all policies and guidelines related to student admissions and transfer at both the four-year institutions and ACCS college. (link to policy here or below)

Would the 25% credit hours have to be college-level courses?

Yes. The courses cannot be developmental/remedial or non-degree qualifying electives.

What is the cost of Reverse Transfer?

The National Student Clearinghouse will exchange the participating universities transcript to the community college at no cost. If the university does not participate, you may have to pay for a college transcript to be sent to us. Any student wishing to receive a printed award and/or participate in the college graduation ceremony must pay the required graduation fees.

If I am already enrolled in a bachelor's degree program, why should I get my associate's degree?
There are many benefits to earning an associate's degree, even after transferring to a 4-year institution.
  • People who earn an associate's degree will have an easier time gaining employment while with a potential to earn more in their lifetime than people who earn a HS diploma. 
  • It will help you stay motivated to stay on track in getting your bachelor's degree.
  • Having an associate's degree can help you acquire better jobs and internships while still in school and having both an associate's and bachelor's degree on your resume will be enticing to employers.In unforeseen circumstances in which you have to postpone your studies in a bachelor's degree program, you will have an associate's degree to reflect your hard work.
  • Re-entering a university after a break in your program will be much easier if you have your associate's degree. Having an associate's degree can help  you qualify for scholarships and financial aid at a university.

Do I have to participate in the Reverse Transfer program?

No, however it is highly recommended you consider the benefits and speak with an academic adviser.

Is it mandatory that I participate in graduation?

The college encourages you to participate in the ceremonies for this important milestone in our academic career; however, it is not required. Your award can be mailed to you upon request.

What if I want to participate in the graduation ceremony?
You must pay the graduation fees (which includes the invitations, cap and gown) to participate.  Contact the Registrar's Office for any further questions at 205-929-3409 or email at

Do I have to re-enroll at Lawson State?
No, you do not have to re-enroll at the college.

What if it has been years since I transferred from Lawson State?
There is no time frame, you are still eligible to participate no matter how long it has been since you attended Lawson.

What degrees can be obtained at Lawson through the Reverse Transfer Program?

Typical degrees include the Associate in Arts (AA), Associate in Science (AS), and the Associate of  Applied Science (AAS). The degree is dependent upon the coursework you completed. The Registrar's Office will evaluate the combined credits to determine which degree matches the courses you completed.

Will earning an associate's degree impact my eligibility for financial aid, scholarships, and/or military benefits?
Earning an associate's degree will not impact your eligibility for any state, federal, or military funds. If you receive any private funding, you must check with the awarding institution to be sure earning an associate degree will not impact your eligibility for that specific scholarship.

What if I have an outstanding fee at my current college/university?
You must be in good financial standing with both the university and community college to participate in the Reverse Transfer program. Students are strongly encouraged to resolve any outstanding financial obligations at current or previous institutions to ensure consideration for an associate's degree.