International Student Applicant Information

An international student applicant is a foreign student who wishes to attend Lawson State Community College while in the United States. 


International students may attend the Birmingham campus only.  

Print this document which contains the requirements for an international student applicant.

Thank you for your interest in Lawson State Community College. The College expressly encourages multiculturalism through a geographically diverse student body. Our Bessemer Campus is not authorized to admit / enroll international students so all international student applicants must attend the Birmingham Campus. Please submit your application for admission and the following supporting potential enrollment documentation to the Birmingham Campus of Lawson State Community College:

  • Completion of a Lawson State Community College Application for Admission .

  • A VISA recognized and accepted by the United States Government and / or a current / valid passport or other official documentation to verify lawful presence. (NOTE: F-1 visa holders must be enrolled at full-time status - 12 semester hours or more and should make satisfactory progress in a degree program.)

  • A certified original, translated and evaluated copy of the student’s high school transcript. Documents must be reviewed by Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc., World Education Services, Inc. or by a member-agency of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) in the United States, at the expense of the applicant. An official report should be forwarded directly to the Admissions Office at Lawson State Community College.

  • A current photo (passport sized, preferred).

  • A minimum score of 5.5 on the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) as determined by the college, or a total score of 61 on the Internet-based TOEFEL, a total of 173 on the computer-based TOEFL, or a total score of 500 on the paper-based TOEFL.

  • A signed, notarized statement verifying adequate financial support. (Recent bank statements indicating sufficient funds to cover financial obligations must be included.) Please note that the College offers no financial assistance or scholarships for international students.

  • Documentation demonstrating adequate health and life insurance, inclusive of a repatriation benefit.  This must be maintained during all periods of enrollment.

  • Payment of I-901 Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) Fee.

  • English as a Second Language exam may be waived for students from all English speaking countries including but not limited to: Australia, Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada (verify from transcript), England, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Scotland, Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Grenada, Belize, Dominica, Malawi, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and Nevis, Nigeria, Tanzania, The Gambia, Tobago and Trinidad, Zambia, and Virgin Islands. All other waivers must be submitted to the Chancellor of the Alabama College System for approval with substantial documentation.
  • Medical history and proof of immunization forms (completed by a physician).  Forms may be downloaded here

Transient or transfer international students must submit a Transient/Transfer Clearance Form (See Admissions / Forms) signed by the foreign student adviser at the institution from which the prospective student comes.

Further, transfer students must submit a copy of the Form I-20 from the institution from which the student transfers.

Also, a copy of the student’s VISA and Passport and the information. Plus, a medical health history with proof of vaccinations.  ( Or see Admissions / Forms to download the forms). 

Please note that the tuition rate for international students is calculated at the out of state student rate. As such, tuition is assessed at two times the basic in-state, residential tuition rate plus applicable technology and facility fees.

The College has an insurance plan for international students payable upon the initial registration term or before an I-20 is granted. Contact the Office of Admissions or for most recent U.S. government regulations